Thursday 20 May 2010

Where The Wild Things Are

 Warner Bros Pictures
UK: October 16, 2009
Rated: PG


 I wanted to watch 'Where the Wild Things Are' directed by Spike Jonze when it was first advertised in the cinema late last year, unfortunately I never got the chance too. Finally however I managed to grab a DVD copy and sit down and watch one of the best films I've seen so far this year. For those who have read the book written by Maurice Sendak- this film would offer little in the way of surprises but for those- like me who hadn't read or heard of this film until last year it was one big surprise.
Who are those funny monster things jumping, running and talking on that trailer? I didn't know but I wanted to. I was worried that when it finally came down to watching the film I would be sadly dissapointed and fortunately this was not the case. 

The film doesn't offer much in the way of introductions- it immediately brings us to our host for the evening- Max. Max like every young child has an imagination- and he apparently utilizes this imagination to the greatest extent- so much so that if the people around him don't comply with his imagination he throws a tantrum. Watching Max do 'his thing' is amusing to watch and I couldn't help but smile at the innocence. What I was aware of however was I was drawn into a kids world- Max is a perfect archetype for a child who appears to be lost and just needs someone to play with. 

After a dispute with his mother Max runs away- fed up with life at home- now we are transported to wherever we are transported too. It is nothing but beautiful woodland. Spike Jonze captures the most beautiful landscapes and I couldn't help but be captivated by it all. 

Now this is where the film gets good- with the introduction of the inhabitants in Max's new found world. We do not know them, they could be good or bad, but just at the sight of the 'Wild things' I found there faces amusing and immediate warmth towards them, I wanted to get to know them they have so much spirit and this  is before they have spoken! When they do eventually talk, we are in as much wonderment as Max is, its just like having a pet dog- we just want to play with them. After Max  convinces them he is a king of an unnamed world the 'wild things' real boast character- this of course is boosted by the terrific voice overs provided by the likes of James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker, Paul Dano and Chris Cooper. 

Strangely however, unlike most of the films I've watched were not introduced to the characters right away. We bear witness to a very fun chase scene (which I wanted to be apart of) then after all the laughs have been exhausted we want to know who each one is- we snap back to reality. It was a different way of introduction and one that seemed more realistic to just the usual: 'right this is him and this is her...' 

The ''Wild things'' are far from shallow characters- which is what i expected them to be,  but this along with all my other assumptions where soon proven wrong- I found myself having to keep being reminded that these are monsters- not humans. They are animated creatures but are so very real at the same time, each one has there own attribute which we can assign to someone we all know, the loud type, the commanding type, the shy type etc. 

This film has one of the best soundtracks I think i've heard on a film. It perfectly represents an emotion, a moment, and the film would be empty without it. Although it appears this film is full of happiness and sunshine- this isn't the case, after all this is a children's book and what children's book would be complete without a moral, a message. And so conflict sets in.

The situations presented are very real and are very difficult for a young child- hell an adult to deal with. What happens when people you care about are at each others throats? (in this case sometimes quite literally) how do you solve the problem? Max begins to realise not everything can be fixed even if you are a 'king'. This is where the film has its heart, and i feel the message, for young children isn't clear enough- but in saying that it would distract from the sheer enjoyment of the film if it was. Max always seems to be the one stuck in the middle (now how many of us have been in a similar situation?) 

Notable scenes is the ''Building of the fort'' which perfectly sums up my own feelings as a child. We all want to be in charge of our own little word, and this is what Max is doing, taking charge, doing things his own way, and its very heartwarming to watch. Another scene is the ''Dirt clod fight'' it was such a funny scene, and very reminiscent of when I was a kid (minus all the dirt) See my point though- everything I describe in this film I can relate to my own life as a child- this is what I enjoyed the most about this film, it has real heart and realism. It may seem hard to believe- but you just need to watch it. 

Finally, when Max departs, its not preceded by a big fight, death or explosions (which is what I was expecting) It ends as if it was just another day. Obviously there is some sadness but is quickly changed to a beautiful departure. Something which provides a hope- best example I can think of is when you go abroad- when it's time to go, you don't want to but know its inevitable. This is just another chapter in Max's life. And unfortunately like many of us that chapter has came to an end. 



VERDICT
 

It's hard to fault a film so beautiful and I've tried  but can't for the life of me think of one. A classic, beautifully directed, acted, written. This is a film you must see and I wouldn't hesitate to watch it again. I just really want to build a fort right now. 



5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment